After going to the Skinsnsharps exhibition with Jacko, I offered to scan my photos for Sam Biondo. I got the photos together and wrote as many names and dates as I could remember. It bought the memories flooding back as I saw pics of my old mates. I started to scan the photos and they were not coming out as well as I hoped, so then I thought about it. If I died tomorrow, what's the bet my husband and daughter would throw my albums in a dumpster with my poodle, antiques and all my other stuff that they hate - which is pretty much everything I own.
I decided to donate my albums and scrap book to Sam. Partly because the State Library has been interested in his collection and it makes me feel very special thinking that one day my teenage crap will be classed as historically important.
I contacted Sam and organised to meet up at Gloria Jeans in Spencer Street in December 2008. We had a great time going through the pics, ephemera and stories. He gave me a skinsnsharps T shirt/poster and some prints of the sharpie artwork from the exhibition.
Sam asked me to write a bio so he could put it with the pics on his site and with anything he uses in the next exhibition. I found I had trouble writing it, well not so much with the writing, but how it sounds.
My association with the Melbourne Sharps was through my boyfriend, a handsome Eastside Sharp called Skeeta. Then we broke up and I had a summer romance with Billy Idol look alike, Iggy from the Westside Sharps. Summer finished and I started going out with Chap a 6'2" blue eyed hulk from the St Albans Sharps.
What a bio, bloody hell, how does that make me sound? May as well say "Julie Mac was a sharpie from 1976-1978/9. She was a mole that went through three sharpie gangs!"
But seriously, sharpie gangs were really not a place for 'moles', there was a very real danger of the guys using the girl for 'gangies' (gang bang)
I figure after I write a few more entries for this blog, my bio might write itself.