Friday, June 24, 2011

Rest and be thankful

I haven't posted for awhile and I was thinking about gratitude. Being grateful for stuff in your life.

Following is an email I sent to skinsnsharps and careless navigator last year after the skinsnsharps exhibition. It's been edited to turn it from a personal email into a blog post.

Tiki Godfathers
I can't call you fairy godfathers. Although I think you would both look gorgeous, naked in a pink tutu (I bet you are blushing) I see you better in a carved tiki throne, with torches burning by your side. (Think Captain Jack Sparrow when he is king of the headhunters).

I came down to earth during the week like a helium balloon the day after a party. Wrinkled and sad with no bounce. I have had a bit of a rest and am on the way up again.

I wanted to send you some of my thoughts before they are pushed from my mind with dreary tasks like picking up dog poo from the back yard, frowning because my kid only talks to me to ask me for money or something demanding like 'what's for tea' or shouting at Mark to turn down the TV.

Some dreams you helped come true
1. Become published, in a big bang way rather than the whimper I had planned.
2. Having my photos and art in a gallery
3. Rubbing shoulders with the 'arty crowd'. I always had a yearning to do that, but I hung out with Broady truck drivers in the bar at the Meadow-inn hotel or Pascoe Vale pub.
4. Having my own place in the arty crowd and not suffering from 'imposter syndrome'
5. Getting the gang back together in a spectacular fashion. It wasn't just a buzz, it was an electrical current through the gallery and laneway each weekend. EVERYONE felt it. I feel the adrenaline just thinking about it.
6. Being able to dry hump Chane four weekends in a row.
7. The opportunity to do more writing - for Chane Chane, Book Two, film scripts. Wow

Dreams that came true that I didn't have on my list as they were outside of my galaxy
1. Back cover of City Sharps CD (art work and Chane Chane aaahhhhh)
2. Merchandise - the 'We don't play with dolls bags'.
3. OMG I have a publicist. My daughter said WHAT THE FUCK STOP BEING BETTER AT ME AT EVERYTHING! Ha ha.
4. Panel 3 girl in Fred's cartoon. If my friends understood, I know they would be jealous. I think I will aim for PLAYBOY next. Although I did go in this year's 'Blossom Calendar', real women in their black underwear.
5. RRR and The Age - I sat in a book promoting course the other night thinking tick, done that, tick, yep done that too

Sam, I hope the exhibition made your dreams come true. What a selfless way of celebrating your 50th birthday - Making everyone else happy and others successful.

All the feed back has been fantastic. I don't think I have heard one word of complaint or constructive criticism and that's how it should be. My lot are grateful that you cared to preserve our culture and present it for Melbourne to see.

I will continue to pester you with emails. I like emailing you both (good boys versus tits out Sunday). I know you are not 'typing boys' so I don't expect replies. I want you to know I appreciate you on so many different levels.

xxx
PS I am sure I forgot stuff in the lists above