Friday, September 9, 2011

Another draft I found

1995 The year before I met Mark, Claire and I lived in a little green terrace dolls house. She may have been three, but she was a miniature dominatrix commanding the adults around her. One day we walked into her creche and Darryl one of the carers was wheeling the dress up rack. Claire said "Are we having dress ups today?" Daryl answered yes and Claire said in an accusing tone "is that on the plan?" in case he dare deviate from the program written in black and white.

One of her habits was to make her way down the long hall, with her blanky and Angel her strange soft doll, with a round flat vinyl face, in the middle of the night and crawl in my bed. Wanting her to learn to sleep in her own bed, I would carry her up the narrow Victorian hall carefully avoiding the antique lead light crystal cabinet as she wiggled, screamed and kicked my shins black and blue.

I can't remember where I was going with this story...

Note:
Let your kids sleep in your bed with you, because before you know it, they are 19 and hate you!