I found this in my drafts and decided to finish it.
Remember in primary school, when life was as simple and as happy as having a Westons Wagon Wheel in your hand?In 2001 one of my childhood dreams came true. I got to work for a division of Westons and I could eat Wagon Wheels ALL DAY! The office had a huge unlocked safe, the size of a room, and the only thing in it was boxes and boxes of Wagon Wheels, mini and regular. I think it was one of the few jobs where I mostly managed to be on time, must have been the Wagon Wheel incentive, as I think I have been late to work nearly everyday for thirty years. It is obviously some form of mental illness. Especially when I was working in North Melbourne and would sometimes sleep upstairs at the Limerick Castle Hotel and I would still be late for my work on the other side of the road.
I loved that job, I was only there for nine months before they sold the business to a competitor and we were all made redundant. It broke my heart and I never got over it. I was so upset, I refused to ever eat a Wagon Wheel again. I think I have eaten a couple since, but only because they are now owned by Arnotts.
My preferred way of eating a Wagon Wheel is to nibble around the edges first, especially the bits where the chocolate completely the edges, then twist the Wheel apart, and eat off the marshmallow, then put the Wheel back together to be finished. I have a few food rituals like that, I think there may be a post on Chocolate Royals somewhere on this blog.
And you know how some people say that Wagon Wheels are smaller now? Apparently they are the same size they have always been, it is just that our hands are bigger, and they call it 'Wagon Wheel Syndrome'. Dunno if I believe them.