Thursday, April 26, 2012

Missed reflection

I can't believe I forgot to post about the video we watched of Kevin Rudd's apology to indigenous Australia

My daughter is a direct descendant to the first half caste child born in Tasmania, Dolly Dalrymple. "Dolly is a Tasmanian icon who fought off marauding natives and for six hours her fighting spirit never flagged, not even when they tried to burn her out of her shack."


Mannalargenna Chief of the Ben Lomond tribe (1770)

His daughter Woretermoeteyenner (Bung) lived with a sealer George Briggs and was banished from her tribe
Her daughter Dolly (1808) was 'stolen' and taken to live with Dr Dalrymple
Dolly married Thomas Johnson
and their son, Alfred Johnson (1847) married Amelia Wells
Their daughter Florence (1875) married Herbert Rogers
and their daughter Lilian (1906) married Arthur Scurry
Their daughter Patricia  is my mother in law, I married her son Anthony and we have a daughter Claire 

So Claire is 8th Generation, that is seven generations of the Government policy of "'breeding out the colour' of Indigenous Australians to 'improve' the population."

Dr Cecil Evelyn Cook, dazzlingly qualified as an anthropologist, biologist, bacteriologist, chief medical officer and "chief protector" of Aborigines in North Australia, who pronounced there was no "throwback" to the black once enough white blood was bred in. "Generally by the fifth and invariably by the sixth generation, all native characteristics of the Australian Aborigine are eradicated. The problem of our half-castes will be quickly eliminated by the complete disappearance of the black race, and the swift submergence of their progeny in the white," he said.

The main thing I took from the Sorry video were the words of Nanna Fejo a great-grandmother that was stolen as a four year old in 1932 from Tennant Creek.  Kevin Rudd said, 'I asked Nanna Fejo what she would have me say today about her story. She thought for a few moments then said that what I should say today was that all mothers are important. And she added: ‘Families—keeping them together is very important. It’s a good thing that you are surrounded by love and that love is passed down the generations. That’s what gives you happiness.’

White families also had their children stolen, they call those children The Forgotten Generation, but that is another story.