Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fifteen minutes of fame


Middle of last year, Careless Navigator contacted me to call Tony Robinsons’ production team, they were looking for 1960s sharpies that had knowledge of a fight outside the Mad Hatter night club in Little Lonsdale street with the tow truck drivers from Kernow Motors across the street. I left messages on skinsnsharps and on Facebook but wasn’t able to find anyone, so I forgot about it.

Later on I hear from Christo, one of the 1970 Camberwell boys, he had located two 1960s sharpies that knew about the fight and he invited me and another mutual friend, Cliffy to come along and observe the filming in November 2011. The production team had also found an original sharp with the fabulous name of The Williamstown City Stomper.

Cliffy arrived with armfuls of conny cardigans and before we knew it, we were both included in the segment. Luckily I had dressed in sharpie style clothes, just in case. Not authentic, just close enough for an old fat lady, I had a black t shirt, a black A line skirt and my black treads (which Dad found in the back shed)

Peter  Cliffy   Julie Mac  Tony Robinson  The Willy Stomper   Larry   Christo 

We filmed for nearly three hours, and each section was filmed three times, first part was Tony coming across us taking photos against the wall and we discussed the sharpie subculture. Next part was talking about the nightclub, then we all did the sharpie strut in pairs up the hill to the pub. At the pub, the boys started sculling, which was hilarious and the in-famous ‘Williamstown City Stomper’ gave us a demonstration/lesson for the dance, the Sharpie Break. As I have two left feet, (I can’t do the Nutbush or drive a manual car) I was kinda happy that they didn’t show that part.

The episode went to air early September, I didn’t really tell anyone, but of course, Bev and Dad sniffed it out. Bev rings me and says ‘Are you going to be on telly? Rosco at the pub told us his brother Larry is going to be on telly and that you are on there with him’. Talk about six degrees of separation! Bev has always had this uncanny knack of finding out what I am up to. Like the time she said to me, ‘I know your boyfriend Tom is in jail’. She wouldn’t tell me how she knew, I thought she was magic. But maybe it was common sense, why else would a young man write and post letters. Plus in the 70s, stamps from any of the jails had the letters VG (Victorian Government) perforated through them, so they stood out like dogs balls.

After we finished filming we had lunch with Tony and the crew, the boys had a ‘Beer sandwich, hold the bread’.

I didn’t watch the episode the night it went to air and only a couple of people mentioned it. When I saw it the next day, I was happy the bits that I knew were going to make us look like dicks (nearly all of it!) had been cut. Although I didn’t mind too much about looking like a dick, it is worth it to have our sub-culture recognised and remembered.

Footnote: Cliffy’s connies were in the back of my car and I told him I was going to drive off - He does not have a sense of humor!