I love feeding the wild birds, at home or at our caravan. It sends Mark mental. He hates it. (He hated my pet wasp nest as well)
When we are at the van, all my little birdie friends come to visit. I am like Mary Poppins. They tweet at me and I get food for them, some of them even eat from my hand or they sit on the back of my outside recliner rocker and I freeze like a statue so they won't fly away.
Mark and Claire hate the birds. They shout at me when I feed them. I think it is partly because the birds swoop them and partly because they take gleeful delight in messing up anything that makes me happy. They even give each other high fives when they make me lose it and shriek at them.
A tiny fairy wren came to visit one day while I was standing with Mark and our brother in law. The sweet birdie hopped and walked about between our still feet and I held my breath as I watched. Until Mark decides it would be funny to scare it by lifting his great stormtrooper-clodhopper-big fat booted hoof and the birdie flew away. It looked suspiciously like Mark kicked the bird to me, he denies it, but my brother in law reminds me often, to get Mark, the bird kicker in trouble.
Fancy kicking this little sweetie!
My step-mother Bev has been feeding the wild birds for years, her front garden is like a squishy carpet of seed husks. One day I decided to wash my car in the driveway when I came to visit (must have had a blood rush to the head or something), and then I moved the car to the nature strip. After enjoying a nice cuppa, it was time to go home, and as I walk out, I see 387 pink and grey cockatoos sitting on the overhead electricity wires, and they have shit all over my clean car. Bev thought it was hilarious, but I failed to see the funny side.
The magpies start knocking on her door around 6 am and she gets up and talks to the cat while she gets the seed ready for them. Recently a killjoy neighbor complained to the council and Bev had a visit from the ranger, telling her not to feed the birds, the neighbors didn't like being swooped as they drove or walked past. Bev ignored the council, so they sent her a cease and desist court order, but the council fuckers got her name wrong, so she still didn't stop, she started feeding them in the back yard instead. The back yard is like a jungle, so no one can see in from the road. Bev 1 Council 0
