Saturday, February 9, 2008

Balloons and Spinach Dip March 2003

The weekend of my 40th birthday was an exciting one and I need a big rest.

On the Friday night I went to a wake for Keith’s (Newsletter Volume IX – Frequent Coarse Language) grandma. Keith organised a big send off for his beloved grandmother and she will be missed by Keith and his daughter Kristy Lee.

On Saturday, we went to meet some of Mark’s workmates for birthday lunch at the Cross Keys in Strathmore. In the next room there was some well dressed ladies celebrating a birthday in style, they decorated the tables with balloon centrepieces, they had silver star coasters, candles and glitter on the tables.

I was watching them with narrowed eyes as I was jealous, I wanted balloons and crap. So Claire and I left the pub and went to a couple of $2 shops looking for balloons in black and dark red (to match my dress and the dress of the witch that I got for my birthday). We drove through hail and thunder, couldn’t find anything in Coburg so we drove to Lombards, I missed the driveway and we ended up back on the freeway, so we had to try again

At Lombards, we got what we needed and then went back to the pub. By this time the well dressed ladies had moved into the public bar and decorated the table in there amongst the tab guys in their blue singlets and steel capped boots. I went over and thanked them for giving me the idea of the balloons and they sprinkled glitter in my hair and we had a bit of a chat. Mark looked up and saw me talking to them and just rolled his eyes.

We left that celebration and came home to make some spinach dip to take to our next party. (Peter H calls it that tired old spinach thing you always make)

We celebrated at Micheal’s 40th party, I was the designated driver, but ended up leaving my passenger Mark there at midnight and picking him up the next day as he was having too much fun and wasn’t ready to go home yet.

Then it was my big lunch. What a fantastic turnout, 83 people! I enjoyed myself and I am blessed to have so many wonderful friends. It was nice to have everyone together at once and the day was everything I wanted.


My presents are fantastic, of course we got the cards mixed up and I have a few gifts that I don’t know who they are from. So if you gave me, or know who gave me the following please let me know so I can thank them

Blue box of toiletries and round candle in jeweled holder
Country garden (Orange) toiletries
Round blue bowl with star floating candles and chocolates
Large flat round wooden bowl/platter
Simpsons DVD
Silver beaded bag
Triple silver frame
As you can see by this list, the presents were beautiful.

So to all the friends and family involved in my 40th, a big thank you. It was a fantastic day and I loved every minute. I hope to send out thank you notes (probably by email) in the next couple of days.

I might send another newsletter later in the week and will do a profile then.