Sunday, February 10, 2008

Reiki - Makes the world a nicer place

How I found Reiki

In 2002 I was working in a job that didn’t interest me. I was quickly seduced into surfing the net all day, typing random things into Google and reading the results.

One day I typed in “the scariest thing I have ever seen”. The results bought back a website for a group called midnightsociety.com. The particular entry that captivated me was a place called The Organ House on Shades of Death Road in New Jersey. www.scrc173.com/sod_2004/SOD_midnightsociety.htm

That was it, I was hooked. Everyday, I followed links to sites with stories of creepy places, paranormal investigators and hauntings.

One day Kelly, a workmate mentioned some strange things that had been happening at her house. Now that I was a “paranormal expert”, I suggested that she take home the work digital camera and see what she could capture.

This was the most interesting photo that was taken and we realised we wanted more information.


I surfed the net, looking for paranormal enthusiasts in Melbourne. I found a yahoo site based in Ballarat and we quickly made some online friends, met up with them and formed our own group and had a couple of amateur ghost hunts. It went through a few incantations and suddenly I found myself in a completely different group that had professional aspirations.

As a group, we went away to stay at Montecristo Australia’s most haunted house

The inter-personal relationships made the trip fascinating. If you have seen the DVD of Stephen Kings “Rose Madder” you will get an idea of what it was like traveling with a group of almost strangers that weekend.

Two of the girls in the group, Karolina and Rachael were in their early twenties. At first I thought they were quiet, it was just that there were so many big personalities in the group, they were overshadowed.

They were pretending to be asleep on the bus so they didn’t have to engage in the chatter (that eventually turned into a huge bitch fight). That was until someone put on the soundtrack to South Park. When the “Uncle Fucker” song came on, suddenly, they became animated. They had miming, actions and voices to go with the song and it was hysterical.

After that I nicknamed them the “Uncle Fuckers”. One time the phone rang at home and Claire sang out “Mum, Karolina Uncle Fucker is on the phone”.

Later, they invited me away to a Reiki weekend but I was unable to go. A week later I went to visit them and was amazed at how beautiful they were. They were already beautiful girls, but something had transformed them and they were radiant. I had no idea what Reiki was, but whatever they had, I wanted it too.

Eventually we were able to organize a weekend and I went to Dorothea’s at Landsborough with Karolina.

Dorothea met us at the gate, she has the most amazing blue eyes and a beautiful energy – “and who do we have here” she said welcoming us to her property.



Passing the chapel on the way in



we settled ourselves at the cabin and relaxed, chatting to the other attendees until bedtime. One of the girls slept in the pyramid structure (not pictured) out the front and I had severe pyramid envy.

The next morning we had our introduction to Reiki in the beautiful Reiki room – everything just seemed to click and make perfect sense. Dorothea believes in providing Reiki treatments or classes with payment by donation, paying only what people can afford. She trusts that the universe will provide and it does. Every Reiki building on her property has been manifested by donations over a couple of decades.

In the afternoon we had our attunements, where symbols are placed in our aura to channel the universal energy.

After the class we went into the cave, a 40ft shipping container buried into the side of a hill to listen to a native American CD, it boomed and echoed through the cave.

That night we had dinner at the local pub and then did some star gazing until it was time to settle for the night.

The next morning we did some intuitive tai chi in the ying yang circle, it took me a little while to get into that.


We then returned to the Reiki room and after a summary of the previous day, we had our hands on practice at intuitive Reiki.


I went there with a lot of unrealistic expectations and two years later I can confidently say that every thing I wanted was met.

There are two things that Dorothea taught that stay with me.

. Love and Joy can conquer all negativity.

. The only three things that you need are Wisdom Love and Power.

Last year I met another Reiki channel and with light shining in her eyes she said, “It makes the world a nicer place”